Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Chapter 25: Superhero.

as a child, if you asked me what i wanted to do when i grow up, i would have said i wanted to save the world. i didn't even know what i wanted to save it from, i just knew that every superhero's job was to save the world. and i wanted to be a superhero so very badly.

my ideal power would have been to fly. to escape from the things that could hurt me, and to rush to the rescue of others when they were hurt. flying just seemed like the ultimate way to live out your fantasies and to be free. even as a child, i wanted to be free, to have an escape when i needed it.

the desire in me to save the world hasn't died. not yet, anyway. it comes rushing back with every frown line i see on a friend's face, with every downtrodden face i see as i walk, and even with those commercials on tv about those under privileged children in other countries. as romantic as it may sound, i just want to do something and to make a difference. to save something. to feel like my being there did something.

it's so hard to accept that i can't always change things. i feel so helpless at that idea, but i have to accept it. i can't run away from the things that make me cry, and i can't wipe away every tear that falls from the eyes of someone i love. i want so badly to help those i see who need it, but even i know my own limits. the limits that hold me back from my full potential. my superhero potential.

all i know is that i will never stop wanting to soar. and when i figure that out, i'll finally be able to save the world.

No comments: