Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chapter 29: Middle Child Syndrome.

being the psychology major that i am, i often find it difficult to resist the urge of diagnosing the people around me with the disorders i learned that day in class. i have found a depression, narcissism, and even the beginning forms of schizophrenia in my observations. despite being one of the initial things that psychology professors say when you get to class, i still find all these disorders around me.

another thing i find myself doing is inventing disorders that have yet to be discovered. my pride and glory has been the one that i have dubbed “middle child syndrome.” i have been preparing for the presentation of this syndrome to the american psychologists association since the age of 3. the age i myself became a middle child.

this is really one of the most interesting social experiences to have because you get to experience two disparate worlds: that of being the older sibling and that of being the younger one. and as much as you may think there are perks, there are also some pretty heavy downfalls, as well. for example, i have never done anything new because my older sister did it first and i just couldn't pull it off as cute as my little brother could. i got into trouble for the mistakes i made whereas my older sister made those mistakes because she had no one to show her the way and i had to learn from her experiences. my little brother was just a baby and babies are allowed to make mistakes.

i do get to see the differences, though. i understand why younger siblings don't always take advice, but i know how important it is to give it when you can. i can see the fair and the unfair in why the older one or the younger one gets to do something.

i guess this kind of makes me perpetually inadequate.

No comments: