Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Chapter 44: Thirst quenchers

my morning bus ride always affords me with plenty of surprises. i've seen old classmates i haven't talked to since graduation, people from my hometown i never cared to see again but reveled in the fact that they’ve gotten old, and some of the most randomly assorted people i have just ever seen. nyc does have a penchant for attracting crazies, even at 7 in the morning.

none of those, however, even come close to the feat i saw about 2 days ago while riding the bus. it was a usually crowded morning, with me sitting in the far back, crushed between two guys who were trying so hard not to fall into me as the bus swerved from side to side. they failed.

swaying along to my headphones and the radio station i was listening to, i tried to see who else was on the bus with me that morning. as discreetly as possible, of course, since no one likes to be watched. to my left, by the window, a little old man sat with his back pack on his lap, staring out the window. he looked like your average little old man with graying hair that was balding in spots and somewhat old clothes.

just as i was looking at him, he reached into his bag and pulled out an entire bottle of jose cuervo tequila. yes, you read that right, tequila. he proceeded to take a long swig from the bottle and then washed it down with orange juice. i mean, it was around breakfast time and orange juice is good for you. without a qualm, he put the bottles back into his bag and continued to stare out the window, with me just staring at him.

i stayed behind to get a better look at him when the bus stopped and people started to file out. as he passed me, he gave me a huge smile and walked off the bus as if nothing had happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am doing research for my university paper, thanks for your useful points, now I am acting on a sudden impulse.

- Laura