Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chapter 45: Thankful.

we always assume that if we were to ever find a purse or wallet on the street, we would return it, right? we want to believe with all our hearts that we are truly good people and that we would do the right thing if presented with the choice.

yet, i've noticed so many times when people did the wrong thing or the apathetic thing just because it was easy at the time. after all, as humans, we are creatures of convenience. we come up with ways to get places faster and easier and with the least amount of exertion possible. doesn’t charity require some kind of exertion? especially now, when time is of so much value and one’s worth in this world is determined by what and how much you can produce, doing any kind of work for nothing has become a luxury commodity.

i’ll be the first to admit that i’m not the best person that i could be. i’ve averted my eyes when on the subway and someone asks me for change. i’ve watched with horror and pity at children in third world countries who didn’t have proper water. but which of those is worse, not helping the person next to me or a child thousands of miles away? i have always been a firm believer in rousseau’s theory that humans are by nature good, but corrupted by society. if no one else looks at the guy begging on the subway, i wonder why i should.

until a few days ago. i lost my purse in my local shop rite two days ago. i spent the past two days despairing over everything that was lost, and trying in vain to find it somehow. today, i received a package in the mail from “A Child of Christ” who took the trouble to find my address and only removed the amount of money it took to send the purse back to me. i was honestly dumbfounded that someone out there cared enough about me, a person he/she has never seen and will probably never seen, in order to send me back my valuables.

thank you, A Child in Christ, for restoring my faith in humanity.

No comments: