Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chapter 83: The very big city

every time i watched sex & the city, i was so jealous. here were these amazingly fashionable women who had these glorious apartments to return to after sunday brunch in trendy areas of manhattan, dishing about their fabulous saturday nights out. who wouldn't be jealous! and yes, i am not foolish enough to think that my own experience would be the same (really? that many manolo blahniks, carrie? feed the children.), but i really hoped that those episodes would hold something familiar for me.

not so much! no no, instead i find myself in a small-ish corner of an apartment (never let the term "charming" fool you in a real estate listing), surviving on a monthly budget that those satc ladies would blow through in about a week. i have discovered my love for cooking my own meals and bargain hunting throughout nyc. and let me tell you, there aren't many bargains to be found. i've found a value in vintage items and discount stores that i really never had before. i've also found beauty in taking walks to work and back home rather than taking the subway.

but maybe this is more that just about living in nyc on my own. maybe this about me growing up and realizing the true value of things in this world. as you might or might not know, this is actually my very first apartment, my very first piece of real estate, the first time that my name has ever appeared on a lease. i'm hoping that this sudden appreciation for the small things, or "charming" rather, is not just a temporary epiphany but a true lesson learned. maybe this move will be my first step towards being that bigger and better person i've always wanted to be. i'll just have to be bigger and better on a budget, but i'm thinking i can live with that.

No comments: