Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chapter 92: Rooms and roommates.

i moved to nyc a little over a year ago in 2010. having graduated undergrad in may of 2009 and having lived a year at home, i missed the deluge of my fellow graduates who all moved to the city together. they managed to find instant roommates because if one of their friends couldn't be a roommate, there was always a friend of a friend.

not quite so in my case considering my timing. and thus, i started on the search. a search that has resulted in me living with my third roommate in a year and a half.

this almost makes it sound like i'm a bad roommate and have run them all off. not so! (at least, i hope not). i seem to attract people who are in very transient stages of their lives. new jobs that have brought them to a new city, new jobs that take them away, new situations that just force them to look for a new place to inhabit. enter me with my seemingly extra room at all times.

i sometimes wonder what this says about me. do i seem unsettled enough that like finds like? or do i seem SO settled that those who are constantly on the move crave my stability? and being in a state of constant state of dissatisfaction, i'm not ok with either. the former indicates a flakiness while the latter indicates an inability to adapt. in all honesty, it could just be that i have a fabulous apartment, but i can't help but wonder how such people are pulled into my life.

No comments: