Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chapter 35: Alphabet Soup.

i thought i would bring yet another comeback of my blog with the introduction of summer. for me, anyway. i started this week as a marketing intern at macmillan publishing in new york city. trust me, i have never been so excited to go to work, especially since i get to work all day long with books. what more could an english major ask for, really?

as excited as i was, i don’t think i fully comprehended the fact that i was going to be working in new york city. read: the rudest, quite possible most bizarre, city in the world. i walked out of the first past of my commute (the bus) feeling like a girl ready to take on the world. then i was hit with an awful smell and the prospect of figuring out the subway system. being in that underground sauna was like being in a different world…one where all the countries were this convoluted system of single letters and numbers that everyone seemed to understand. except me, of course. and being the rudest city in the world, don’t even think about asking someone for help. that will certainly cost you.

i walked in and looked around, looking for the r train that was supposed to take me somewhere. the best metaphor for this experience is alice chasing after the white rabbit. literally, it was me chasing after the letter r all over the tunnels. and don’t worry. Not uninterrupted. i encountered music from all over the world, including a very interestingly arranged one-man-band; hobos of all sorts; an entire hallway full of Jesus enthusiasts who tried to convert me to what i could only imagine was some sort of cult. meanwhile, the more i walked, the more i thought that i was nearing the earth’s core as the heat and humidity and steam (don’t ask me where that came from) increased.

i finally got inside the crushingly packed train where i’m fairly certain a guy was trying to grope me and the woman standing next to me. thankfully, i only had to endure 2 stops of this, and when I finally emerged from that underground hell, i actually gasped for air. except that this was also during the heat wave that hit nyc so there was no air to be had.

needless to say, i was a wreck when i walked into my first day of work, having my ass kicked by the very same city that i was so excited to work in.

oh but don’t worry, i couldn’t wait for my next day to go through it all again. after all, it is new york city. who can say no to that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i definitely enjoy your posting type, very useful,
don't give up as well as keep penning considering it just very well worth to follow it.
excited to browse through additional of your current well written articles, have a great day :)